Betting on the right bookmaker is no laughing matter. In order to have a great betting experience, it is important to find a local bookie or a localized sportsbook that will cater to your needs, based on where you live. That’s why we made the following table. It contains the top bookmakers that operate in your country and offer the local currency, language, support and payments. Below you will also find the main characteristics of both local and international sportsbooks. Plus, the key elements of European, British, Asian and North American localized bookies. The final decision is yours, but we’re here to help you choose wisely.
Defining features of local bookmakers
A decent local bookie offers services that are tailored to local bettors’ needs. Such as, a website that allows you to bet in your native language, local customer support and abundance of local payments. Below we present you all the features that define local bookmakers.
- Local language: Opting for a betting site that allows you to navigate and place your wagers in your native language is very important for local bettors. Consequently, there isn’t any local bookie website that doesn’t provide the official language of your country.
- Local customer support: Apart from being readily available through various contact channels, a complete customer support should help you solve any issue that might occur with your account in your own language.
- Local currency & payments: A local sportsbook will provide you with payment options that are popular in your country. Payments such as Giropay or Sofort in Germany, iDEAL in the Netherlands, POLi in Australia and Postepay in Italy. Plus, local bookies apparently accept your country’s currency and help you avoid getting hit with a currency conversion fee each time you make a deposit.
- Abundance of local events: Local sportsbooks are known for their plethora of betting markets on sports that are popular domestically. For instance, local bookies in India offer a wide array of wagering options on the Indian Premier League; since cricket is the national sport there.
- Local licenses: A bookie that operates in a country (which has a regulated gambling market) under the supervision of the local gambling authority, has acquired a domestic license. This actually means that it operates on a local domain and that it legally provides its services to players residing there.
Significant characteristics of international bookmakers
International bookies such as Bet365, Pinnacle and 1xBet are popular all over the world and accept bettors from various countries. They are known for their variety of sports, events and markets; as well as, for their diversity of payments, currencies and languages. Ηere we present you all their distinctive features.
- Abundance of sports & events: International bookmakers are famous for their variety of sports, leagues and events that are popular globally. You can find all kinds of sports on their websites’, such as football, tennis, basketball, horse racing, volleyball and hockey. On top of that, a wide range of competitions, like the UEFA Champions League, the English Premier League, the NBA and events such as the Super Bowl.
- Diversity of payment methods: The abundance of both deposit and withdrawal methods is another significant feature of international operators. They accept payments via debit/credit cards, bank transfer, e-wallets, vouchers, mobile payment platforms and cryptocurrencies.
- Variety of currencies & languages: All the major international online bookmakers allow you to deposit funds to your account by selecting the currency you prefer from a list that contains a broad selection. On top of that, you can choose among a wide range of languages too.
- Customer service in many languages: In case a problem comes up with your account, there’s no need to worry. International operators provide customer support in a wide array of languages and problem solving becomes much easier.
- Overseas licensing: International online betting sites hold licenses which are not valid in just one country, but have a global validity and are issued by overseas regulators. The most prominent ones are Curacao licenses, which derive from the renowned Curacao Internet Gambling Association (CIGA).
Different types of localized bookies
Although it is virtually impossible to find local bookies that share the same characteristics with international ones; there are various international brands that have localized their webpages. Website localization is the procedure of adjusting a site’s content to the local language of a target market. The whole process involves much more than the simple translation of texts. A perfectly localized bookie should offer, among others, localised textual materials, visual displays, graphics and payment methods that are popular on a domestic level.
Several international bookies which target specific markets, have localised their services by taking into account the needs of their bettors. We have divided those sportsbooks into four different types (i.e. European, British, Asian & North American) and we present you their main characteristics.
All of them offer markets with European/decimal odds on sports that are popular across the continent, namely football and tennis and in specific regions, such as ice hockey in Russia. They also offer deposit methods that are known all over Europe; namely, e-wallets, instant bank transfer methods (i.e. Trustly) and mobile payments (i.e. Boku). Moreover, payments that are popular in specific European countries (e.g. Multibanco in Portugal). They also provide a variety of major European currencies (e.g. EUR, CHF, SEK, NOK, DKK, RUB). Plus, they are licensed by reliable European regulators, like the UKGC (UK), MGA (Malta) and GLA (Gibraltar).
They are known for their abundance of markets, with British/fractional odds, on popular British sports. Football is by far the most popular one, while horse and greyhound racing are also on top. The same goes with rugby, tennis, cricket and golf. Moreover, they all accept the British Pound (GBP) and offer payments that are popular in Great Britain; such as PayPal, Paysafecard, Skrill, Neteller, debit cards and of course bank transfer. Last but not least, they hold licenses issued by the United Kingdom Gambling Commission (UKGC). The most prominent ones are Bet365, Betfair, Betvictor, William Hill, Ladbrokes and Coral.
Their most common characteristics are Asian view, Asian handicaps and their availability of Malay, Indo & Hong Kong odds. Other than that, they offer a wide range of Asian bets on popular football competitions, like the AFC Champions League. Moreover, they provide markets on other sports that are popular across Asia (i.e. cricket, cockfighting, boxing) and in specific regions (i.e. sepak takraw which is native to Southeast Asia). Plus, they are known for their variety of payments that are widely accepted all over the continent (i.e. local bank transfer, credit/debit cards, e-wallets, crypto). The most prominent ones are Dafabet, Sbobet and IBC.
North American bookmakers
They offer competitive American/Moneyline odds on a wide array of markets at major American sports. More specifically, basketball (NBA), American football (NFL), baseball (MLB) and ice hockey (NHL). Other than the common betting options on the aforementioned sports, they also provide special bets (i.e. elections, movies, TV shows). That’s due to the fact that political and entertainment betting are very common in North America (USA & Canada). Furthermore, they come with payment methods that are widely-used by US bettors (i.e. cards, like Amex and Mastercard) and Canadian ones (i.e. instant bank transfers via Interac, iDebit and Instadebit).
Should I bet on local or on localized bookies?
Local online bookmakers and localized bookies have some significant differences. A local bookie operates only in a specific country, while holding a local license, and this apparently means that it doesn’t accept players from around the world. Moreover, it usually offers a wide array of markets on local competitions; but when it comes to international ones, its offering is very limited.
On the other hand, localized international bookmakers may have adapted their offering to a specific region or country; nonetheless, they maintain a global approach. This means that they provide a wide range of globally-known sports and competitions, while maintaining their localized characteristics (i.e. local language, currency, payments etc) and that gives them the edge over local bookmakers.
Those who wish to find local sportsbooks and localized bookies can check this page. We provide detailed info regarding both types of sports betting sites and help you decide which bookmaker is the one that suits your needs based on where you live.
They usually have a simple layout and always provide your local language. On top of that, they offer customer support consisting of native speakers. They also offer local payments. However, they have a shortage of payment methods that are globally-known.
No they are not since they operate domestically with a local license issued by each country’s gambling regulator. Moreover, localized bookies that don’t hold local licenses aren’t illegal either; due to the fact that they are licensed by trustworthy gambling authorities (e.g. CIGA).
You can find all kinds of bookies that operate in your country on our table above. More specifically, you can simply check all the bookies that have a local license or you can even view international localized bookmakers that offer your country’s language and currency.
If you prefer to bet on bookies that hold local licenses, then a local bookmaker would be good for you. However, if you are an avid bettor who likes a great variety of sports and global competitions, along with diverse payment options and appealing promotions; then you should opt for an international localized sportsbook.
There are several online bookmakers that are globally-known and trusted by millions of people. Nevertheless, the most significant ones are Bet365, Pinnacle, 1xBet, Bwin, Betfair, 888sport and William Hill.
There are numerous local bookies out there and finding the best depends on the country in which you reside. Therefore, we have created a table above in order to help you select the one that suits you best. All you gotta do is to use the filters and then make your final decision.
No they are not. More specifically, due to the fact that local sportsbooks operate only in specific countries, they offer markets on limited competitions. On the contrary, international brands provide betting options on a wide range of events and leagues from all over the world.
There are several differences between local and international sportsbooks. As a matter of fact, the local ones focus mainly on sports and leagues that are popular domestically; while international ones offer a wide array of markets on sporting events that are known globally. Plus, local operators do not have a great range of global payment methods.