Many new Aussie bookmakers are launched every year and try to attract bettors with appealing bonuses and competitive odds. Separating the best from the rest may prove a daunting task; that’s why we’re here to give you a helping hand. Below we list all the online bookmakers in Australia based on their year of establishment, welcome bonus and overall rating to bring you the top new ones. Moreover, we indicate what you should check before you opt for a bookmaker, highlight all the distinctive features of a new bookie that operates in Australia and compare local licensees with the offshore bookmakers that accept Aussie players.
Online Bookmakers in Australia » What to check
Choosing the best bookies in Australia can be a time-consuming and challenging task since there are many factors to consider before making your final decision. That’s why below we list the most essential factors to help you avoid scams.
- Wide variety of markets - The array of betting options is crucial when selecting a bookmaker. The more markets you may find on a bookie, the higher your chances to opt for it. Whether you are into single bets or accas, handicaps, outrights or specials, a wide array of markets (i.e. 100+ on average per match) is waiting for you on the best Australian bookies.
- Diversity of in-play bets - As with the pre-match markets, there should be a great variety of in-play bets on the top bookmakers. Most bookies offer live markets; nonetheless, not all of them come with an extensive range. So, bear in mind that you must be able to find about 50.000+ in-play events every month at the very best bookmakers in Australia. On top of that, the top licensed bookies have their in-play phone numbers prominently displayed on their platforms to make it quick and easy for you to place your live bets.
- High odds - Probably the most essential factor that every bettor considers before choosing his next bookmaker; since high bookie odds mean you get to earn more on every win. That makes long-term profit seem much easier. The best Australian bookies offer competitive odds (i.e. 95%-97%+ payout) on popular sports among locals, such as Aussie rules football, rugby, basketball and soccer.
- Top bonuses & promos - Bonuses & sports betting are tightly connected; since a high welcome bonus (i.e. 100% sign up bonus up to A$500) will enhance your starting balance and allow you to become more versatile when punting. The same applies to free bets and price boost offers or other types of promos that you’ll receive along the way.
- Easy to use website - When looking for the best bookmakers in Australia to place your bets online, make sure to give a thorough look at the user interface (UI). Check how easy it is to log in, find your favorite sports & markets and deposit or withdraw funds to your account. Bear in mind that this should apply to both the desktop and mobile versions.
- Number of live streams - The number of sporting events offered on live streaming is another crucial factor when searching for the best Australian bookies. Always check if the most prominent games of major domestic competitions, such as the AFL, NRL and NBL, are streamed live on the bookie that you’ll eventually opt for.
- No limits on your account - If you consider yourself a high-roller, remember that your account may be affected by betting limits without prior notice (e.g. A$30,000 upper withdrawal limit per week). So, you can rest assured that your account will not be limited by punting at a top-level bookmaker.
- Other products - Sports betting is for sure extremely entertaining. Nevertheless, every now and then you may want to try something extra. Thus, by opting for a bookie that also offers casino games & slots, as well as a big range of virtuals and esports; will guarantee a pleasing gambling experience with a single account.
Now that we have taken a thorough look at all the key factors that should be taken into account when looking for a top-level online bookmaker; it is time to proceed with the comparison between local licensees and the offshore bookies that operate in Australia.
Licensed vs offshore Australian bookies
There are many offshore bookmakers that operate in the Australian market offering players high odds on a wide array of events. On the other hand, locally licensed online bookmakers in Australia tend to offer lower odds than their offshore counterparts who have worldwide experience of betting markets. More specifically, all the major brands featured on our list of Australian online bookmakers; offer a wider variety of bets, more price boosts & free bets, as well as higher pre-match & in-play betting odds. As regards in-play markets, in particular, local bookies lag behind the offshore ones since live betting in Australia can only be done over the phone. So, the local licensees are obliged to accept in-play bets via phone calls only.
Key characteristics of New Australian Bookmakers
There are lots of new bookies who make their appearance at the Aussie market every single year. However, not all new Australian bookmakers are well optimized for the average local bettor. Before deciding to sign up for a bookie that has just begun operating in Australia, make sure it has as many characteristics as possible from those mentioned on the list below.
Australian Dollar accepted: The Australian Dollar (AUD) is the currency offered by all online bookmakers based in the country. Plus, many offshore bookies that accept Aussies offer it as well. Opting for a bookie that allows you to deposit in AUD helps you avoid any currency exchange fees or other additional fees that may apply.
English speaking support: Australian bookies make sure to offer a well-trained support team consisting of native English speakers who can instantly assist you. Consequently, always place your bets online on bookmakers that feature an efficient customer support department to have a smooth betting experience.
Local payment options: Opting for a bookmaker which offers all the popular payment methods in Australia, such as POLi, BPAY and PayID is very convenient. However, apart from those well-known deposit methods, a truly localized bookie should also offer more payments that are popular in the region. Namely, PayPal, Apple Pay, Neosurf and Flexepin.
Popular sports in Australia: Keep in mind that a bookmaker who offers markets on sports that are extremely popular in a region, is a well-localized one. Therefore, it comes as no surprise that you’ll find a wide variety of bets on sports like Australian rules football, rugby league, and rugby union on new Australian online bookmakers.
Bet on the best new Australian bookmakers for 2022
What sports do best online bookmakers in Australia offer
Australians love nearly every aspect of team and individual sports. So, offshore and local bookies that operate countrywide make sure to offer markets on the most popular sports among local bettors. Below you will find the most profitable sports to bet on when opting for Australian online bookmakers.
Australian rules football
When it comes to betting on sports, Aussie rules football is by far the most popular one. It originated in Melbourne back in 1858, and since 1915 it has been played in all of Australia’s states and territories. The Australian Football League (AFL) is the top domestic league attracting millions of fans. Of course, the best bookies in Australia come with a wide range of markets on all AFL matches.
The second most popular sport in the country is rugby league. The Australian national rugby league team, the famous Kangaroos, are the current Rugby League World Cup holders. The National Rugby League (NRL) is the top domestic competition and one of the two most popular globally, along with the English Super League. Aussies love to punt on games of the NRL, so bookmakers make sure to offer an average of 50+ markets per match.
Almost as popular as rugby league, rugby union attracts millions of Australians; who like to place their bets on their favorite sport every single year. Super Rugby is the top-flight local league and Australian online bookmakers make sure to offer a wide range of bets on the league’s fixtures.
Basketball is a hugely popular sport in Australia and the National Basketball League (NBL) is the top-level domestic league. Australia is the birthplace of some basketball greats, such as the former NBA champs Patty Mills and Matthew Dellavedova. So, you will have no hard time finding online bookmakers in Australia which offer betting on the NBL games, as well as on other basketball leagues, like the NBA.
Betting on soccer in Australia has become popular since the introduction of the A-League. A-League odds are offered by all Australian-based bookies, but offshore bookmakers, in particular, come with the most markets and the best prices. They also offer competitive odds on leagues from around the globe. No matter if you’re into handicap betting, first goal scorer or number of corners, offshore bookies have all the A-League bets and the best odds for you.
Cricket is Australia’s national summer sport and any bookmaker in Australia worth betting on has multiple markets available. The Big Bash League (BBL) is the major Twenty20 cricket league in the country and Aussies love to place their bets on their favorite teams. Thus, bookies that operate in the country always offer to gamblers cricket betting markets and competitive odds on cricket games.
This is yet another extremely popular sport in Australia, as locals are fond of punting on the races. The Melbourne Cup, known as “the race that stops a nation”, is the highlight of the Australian horse racing year and every bookie accepts betting on it. Offshore bookies though stand out for offering great markets on horse racing; as most of them come with the traditional win and place markets, as well as trifecta betting and distance specials.
Last but not least, tennis is another popular sport among locals. The Australian Open hosted every year in Melbourne is one of the four Grand Slam tournaments and Aussie legends of the sport, like Roy Emerson and Rod Laver, have won it several times. So, it comes as no surprise why Australians love tennis so much and like to place their bets on it.
Which bookies accept the Australian Dollar (AUD)
Many offshore bookmakers will allow you to deposit and withdraw using Australian dollars. Betting in AUD means you won’t be hit with foreign exchange rate fluctuations and exchange charges. So, in the following list, you can check all the foreign bookmakers that accept AUD transactions.
No, gambling isn’t illegal in Australia. Gambling is regulated through the 2001 Interactive Gambling Act, but each state has its own individual gambling laws. The legal age for gambling in Australia is 18 regardless of the state or territory.
Yes, online horse racing betting is legal in the country. You can bet on the local Australian online bookmakers, as well as on the offshore ones. More specifically, you have the choice of betting at fixed odds or into the tote pool.
Yes, it does. As a matter of fact, there are several domestically licensed bookmakers that operate in Australia, as well as hundreds of offshore online bookies that accept Aussie punters. If you wish to opt for one, give a thorough look at our list of Australian online bookmakers featured above.
There are several small bookmakers that operate in Australia with a local license; however, we would rather recommend some big names. More specifically, it is better to place your bets on big international brands than on small bookies; since safety comes first and the best bookmakers in Australia, like Bet365 and Unibet, are trusted by millions of bettors.
Corporate bookmakers in Australia are those holding a corporate bookmaker license (i.e. sports bookmaker license) issued by the Northern Territory Racing Commission, which enables them to offer fixed odds sports betting online. Bet365 and Betfair are the two most popular corporate bookmakers that Australia has to offer.
No, there are absolutely no taxes applied on winnings deriving from online gambling in Australia. The Government sees gambling as depending on luck, and therefore it will not tax your winnings.
Each year dozens of new Aussie bookmakers are launched; however, some are not as reliable as others. Account limits and slow withdrawals are among the issues you may run into when signing up for a new bookie in Australia. Nevertheless, in our analysis, we feature only the best new bookmakers that accept Australian bettors.