If you consider yourself a passionate bettor and looking to place your wagers online in Canada, then you needn’t look any further. We have compiled a thorough guide into the best sportsbooks for Canadian players and share all the fundamental insights you should know before you pick your next Canadian sportsbook. Right below you can see the top sportsbooks in Canada based on their overall rating, year of establishment, players’ comments and welcome bonus. We also offer you useful info on how to separate the best from the rest, indicate all the essential features that constitute a top sportsbook and list the most popular sports that are featured on them.
How to choose the best sportsbooks in Canada
Taking your pick from so many different options is not an easy task. There are various things to take into account, including avoiding operators that will offer you a poor betting experience. We want you to be fully informed so that you can make the right decision when it comes to the best sportsbooks Canada offers. This is why right below we are looking into some of their key aspects.
- Wide array of markets - The number of betting markets is also very important when choosing a sportsbook. No matter if you are into simple bets, outright winners, handicaps, specials or accumulators; a wide selection of markets on Canadian football, hockey (i.e. 50+ markets on average per match) and winter sports awaits you on the top online sportsbooks.
- Competitive odds - Naturally, you want to place your bets at sportsbooks that deliver high odds on many sports and events. Some of them will only offer competitive odds on popular sports like hockey or Canadian football, while others might focus on basketball (e.g. 95%+ payout) and the NFL. You can choose between American, fractional and decimal odds.
- Top bonuses & offers - Bonuses and sports betting go hand in hand. Most Canadian sportsbooks’ reviews are focused on bonuses for a good reason. A big welcome bonus boosts your available balance, allowing you to place more bets and increase your winning chances (i.e. 100% sign up bonus up to C$600). The same goes with a free bet or a price boost that you receive along the way (i.e. parlay boost up to C$1000).
- Variety of in-play bets - When talking about live sports betting, Canada is one of the countries where bettors are especially into it. Most sportsbooks offer in-play markets, however, there are big differences in terms of diversity. So, always remember that on the top ones, you should be able to find around 60.000 in-play events per month.
- Early prices and odds - Shopping early for the best prices means that you may find profitable opportunities before sportsbooks decide to balance their odds. This especially applies to horse racing sportsbooks, as early prices can differ greatly from board prices. Apparently, a sportsbook which offers the best odds guaranteed gets more points from us.
- High Quality live streaming - The number of sporting events that are live streamed is yet another important factor when looking for the best sports betting operator. Always make sure that the most important matches of major competitions are streamed live in high quality and you have plenty of live bets at your disposal.
- No limits on accounts - Checking out the different limitations that may be applied to your account is always a good idea. Even though it sounds more like a high-roller issue, all accounts can be affected by betting limits (e.g. C$20,000 upper withdrawal limit per week). Playing at a sportsbook that does not apply limits on accounts is the best way to go.
- User-friendly interface - When looking for the best place to wager online in Canada, make sure to check the user interface (UI). Check how easy it is to log in, make a deposit or withdrawal, and find your favorite sports and markets. Remember that this should apply for both the mobile phone and desktop versions.
- Other products - Sports betting is an extremely entertaining activity; however, every now and then you may feel the need to try something extra. Opting for a Canadian sportsbook that also offers a casino component, as well as a wide range of virtual sports and esports, will give you access to different types of entertainment with one account.
Key characteristics of a Canadian sportsbook
Now that we are done with outlining the most important aspects that you should consider when looking for a top-notch sportsbook in Canada; it is time to highlight all the distinctive features that define sportsbooks that are based in the country. Out of all the sportsbooks Canada has to offer, the vast majority are European or North American. However, not all of them are well optimized for local bettors. So, before you make your final decision, check if the sportsbook you consider opting for has the following characteristics.
Kahnawake license: Betting at a licensed sportsbook is a must if you want to make sure everything that is promised to you will be delivered. So, choosing trustworthy sportsbooks with a great reputation is of great importance. Any operator with a license issued by the Kahnawake Gaming Commission, or even the UKGC and MGA, is more than safe.
Canadian Dollar accepted: The Canadian Dollar (CAD) is a standard currency on most online sportsbooks that are based in the country. Opting for a sportsbook that offers it, allows you to avoid any currency exchange fees or other additional fees that may apply. On top of that, on most occasions, you will also receive a sign up bonus in CAD.
English & French speaking support: Apart from offering a website that is available in both French and English, among other languages; a Canada sportsbook should also come with support agents that speak both languages and are instantly able to assist bettors. So, always opt for sportsbooks that feature decent customer service for a smooth betting experience.
Local payment methods: Availability of all the popular payment options in Canada, like iDebit, Instadebit and Interac, is a great plus. Except for those well-known deposit methods, a truly localized sportsbook should also offer more payments that are popular in the region; such as wire transfer through the Bank of Canada, Flexepin or even MuchBetter.
North American sports: If you’re looking for the best sportsbook Canada has to offer, you must always remember that you should opt for an operator which comes with a great variety of sports that are truly popular in North America. Namely, sports like ice hockey, Canadian football, baseball and basketball, are always available for betting on sportsbooks that operate in this region.
Odds types variety: This is one of the most important characteristics, since it is crucial to be able to place your bets by selecting the odds you really prefer. Therefore, a decent Canadian operator should allow you to choose among the most popular types of odds; namely, American, fractional or decimal odds.
Existing players’ free bets: Other than receiving a free bet when you create an account on a new online sportsbook; it’s always nice to get more free bets through your betting activity. So, by opting for a top Canadian sportsbook you will get to enjoy free bets even if you are not a new player.
Acca & odds boost promos: You will also manage to find special offers on accumulators, like acca boosts and insurances, which are some of the top promotions among Canadian bettors. Odds boosts, as well as cashback bonuses, are also some decent additions on Canadian sportsbooks.
Bet on the best Canadian sportsbooks for 2022
Sportsbooks in Canada: The most profitable sports to bet on
Canadians are huge sports fans and are always looking to place their bets on the most profitable sports. Naturally, the majority of sportsbooks operating in the country are mostly oriented towards hockey, Canadian football, basketball and baseball. However, below you will find the best sports to bet on featured on the top Canadian sportsbooks.
When it comes to betting on ice hockey in Canada, which by the way is considered the most popular sport in the country, you can always count on the best Canadian sportsbooks that are featured in our analysis. Everything from the top NHL Stanley Cup odds, the Hockey World Cup or individual stats on players, like Claude Giroux or Connor McDavid, are available in the hockey section of those sportsbooks.
The second most popular sport in the country, Canadian football is of high importance on any sportsbook focused on the Canadian market. For the highest Grey Cup odds and price boosts for betting online on the Canadian Football League (CFL), you should opt for one of the sportsbooks that we recommend. There are countless types of bets available; as for example futures bets on how the Saskatchewan Roughriders will perform the coming season.
If you are looking for the best Canadian sportsbook to place high-value bets on baseball; you are in the right place, since on our list above you will find the top sportsbooks for betting on your favorite sport. Providing a full selection of games from the MLB you can watch and back all your favorite athletes. Also, with star athletes like James Paxton at the New York Yankees or Joey Votto at the Cincinnati Reds, there’s plenty of action for any Canadian bettor.
Basketball is another popular sport that enjoys much attention from Canadian bettors. Canada has given the world some exceptional basketball players like Steve Nash, Andrew Wiggins and Jamal Murray. No matter if you want to bet on the National Basketball League of Canada or the NBA, in our analysis you will find what you are looking for. No matter what your favorite team or athlete is, check our list and opt for a sportsbook that is going to boost your winning chances.
Even though in Canada soccer betting is not as popular as in other countries, it still appeals to local players. With huge international competitions like the UEFA Champions League, there are a lot of Canadian bettors willing to give it a shot. If you want to make sure you are enjoying a wide array of soccer markets and competitive odds, 888sport is the place for you. So, Canadian soccer fans can try their luck on the various competitions offered by the renowned sportsbook.
Betting on the UFC in Canada is a popular activity since the country has given some of the biggest stars in this sport. With names like Georges St-Pierre, Rory MacDonald or Carlos Newton in the circuit, it was only natural for MMA betting to take off in the country. So, waste no more time and opt for one of our recommended sportsbooks, in order to place your bets not only on all the big UFC fight nights, but also on other MMA competitions as well.
This is yet another extremely popular sport in the country. As a matter of fact lacrosse originated in Canada, as French Jesuit missionaries were the first to see the sport being played by Native American Indians in present-day Ontario back in the mid 1630s. According to many, this is the country’s national sport. So, there are quite a few sportsbooks that allow bettors to place their wagers on big competitions, such as the Canadian Lacrosse League and the NLL.
Rugby constitutes yet another popular sport in Canada, with the Canadian Rugby Championship being the top flight domestic league. The national team has participated in every World Cup that has ever been held and it also participates in the Americas Rugby Championship every year. Therefore, local bettors who are into rugby union can opt for a sportsbook which offers markets on matches of the aforementioned competitions.
No it is not, however in order to operate one you need a government-issued betting license. Therefore, remember that if you wish to operate a sportsbook, Canada will require you to apply for a domestic license first.
There are multiple international sportsbooks that are focused on the Canadian market and deliver their services to Canadian players. However, the ones that have managed to fully localize their interface are Bet99 and Spin Sports. They both run under a Kahnawake license and Bet99 in particular is only available in Canada, offering CAD deposits & popular local payments (i.e. iDebit, Interac).
Among the various international sportsbooks that operate online in Canada, there are some that stand out due to their high odds, numerous betting markets on major sporting events, enticing welcome bonuses and appealing promotions. More specifically, 22bet, 1xBet, 888sport and Neo.bet are considered the very best.
OLG stands for the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation and it is the agency delivering lotteries, casino games, slots and sports betting in the province of Ontario. Their sports betting division, also called the Pro-Line, is one of the state’s alternatives to foreign sportsbooks.