It’s undeniable that there is an ample selection of bookmakers to choose from. However, access to several sites is often prohibited in your country due to laws and regulations. So, what can you do to bypass this obstacle? The answer is to employ a Virtual Private Network (VPN). Using betting sites that accept VPN helps you avoid geo-restrictions and enter your favourite sportsbooks. This can be achieved by hiding your normal IP through encrypted paths.
Of course, the system is not flawless. Several bookies have their means of detecting a VPN; plus, you might face problems when you verify your account. Take a deeper look at our complete guide about VPNs for online gambling, including all the best options, alongside the benefits and risks of using it.
Best VPN for Sports Betting
Choosing the best VPN for betting can be challenging. Finding the provider with the most servers, top speed, and connecting many devices simultaneously is tricky. The best VPNs can be categorized in terms of privacy protection, security protocols, server locations, availability of multiple subscriptions and a user-friendly design. Underneath, you can find the top ones.
- 1 ExpressVPN: This is a VPN service offered by the British Virgin Islands-registered company Express Technologies Ltd. The service is used by 3 million users and offers multiple features like VPN split tunnelling, a Network lock kill switch, and one of the best types of encryption.
- 2 NordVPN: It is developed by Nord Security, a company that produces cybersecurity software. NordVPN offers high connection speeds, over 5200 different servers, and a Password Manager tool, among others.
- 3 CyberGhost VPN: The headquarters of the parent company is in Bucharest, Romania. The service provides a unique 45-day Money-Back Guarantee, high levels of security, and 100 locations across 91 countries to select from.
- 4 Surfshark: It is a VPN service company based in the Netherlands. Subscribers can take advantage of multiple features like a Strict no-logs policy, Private DNS and leak protection and the fact that it is possible to connect unlimited devices with one account.
- 5 PureVPN: So, let's make a brief introduction for our PureVPN review. It is owned by GZ Systems Ltd and was created in 2007. You can enjoy many benefits by using it and the main ones are 20Gbps server speeds, availability to almost any device and features like Port Forwarding and DDoS Protection.
Also Read: Hidemyass VPN Review
How to engage in sports betting with VPN
Before explaining how to set up and use betting sites that accept VPN, it is essential to mention what it is and how to choose one. A Virtual Private Network offers users online anonymity. It creates a public internet connection network and hides your IP address. This way, your actions are untraceable. When choosing a VPN, there are specific criteria that you need to take into consideration:
- Security Protocol that is used.
- Compatibility with the device.
- Possibility of access to multiple devices.
- The number of servers and locations (countries) covered.
- Types of available subscriptions.
- Money-back guarantees.
Now that we mentioned the primary criteria let's see how to download a VPN. You need to follow these steps:
- 1 Choose a VPN that suits your needs and enter the official website.
- 2 Create your account and select your subscription plan.
- 3 Download and install the service on your devices.
- 4 Pick a valid country and click on the “Connect” button.
That’s it. You have successfully downloaded the service and are ready to use your VPN for online gambling. Of course, some of these steps may differ from one provider to another. Since you have installed the program, it is time to put it to good use. First, choose a country where the bookie you wish to enter allows players and learn how to bet online abroad.
As you can see, there is a wide range of options. Most providers offer multiple different types of subscriptions. The cost depends on the number of devices covered, the number of servers you can connect to and the length of the contract. There are free trials and monthly programs when using betting sites that accept VPN. A monthly subscription could start anywhere from $7.99 to $12.99. There are also yearly programs and corporate solutions. We advise you to opt-in for long-term contracts because, typically, there is a significant discount, access to more regions and several other perks.
Is the use of a VPN for betting safe and legal
VPNs raise the levels of internet security and provide anonymity to users. Hiding the IP address and using SSL encryption means that players' regions and activities could remain hidden. Also, VPNs have a particular function; when there is an issue, the internet connection automatically terminates, not to expose the player's actual position. Having said all that, we have concluded that VPNs are safe.
In terms of legality, things are a bit more complicated. Most governments have no specific legislation and the use is often a ‘grey area.’ At the same time, the best bookmakers mention in the terms and conditions that using one is not allowed and other sites don’t make any reference. However, gamblers using betting sites that accept VPN may face some restrictions or penalties from bookies.
When do I need a VPN for Sports Betting
There are multiple benefits for bettors that choose sports betting with VPN. Follow our professional betting guides and take a closer look at everything you can gain:
⏩ Access to restricted bookmakers: Many players would like to bet on sites that are restricted to their region. Through VPN, you can switch to a country where the bookie operates.
⏩ Anonymity: When bettors use a virtual private network, all the information is encrypted and IP addresses can not be tracked. Using betting sites that accept VPN is a great choice to keep your activity hidden.
⏩ Bypass gambling laws: In many countries like Singapore, UAE, or Cambodia, betting online is illegal. Using a VPN helps you overcome any restrictions. Of course, we recommend caution.
⏩ Cheap solution: Using a VPN could be free since many providers offer free trials. Even if you choose a paid subscription, the cost could be as low as $2 per month.
⏩ Take advantage of promotions: Bookmakers might exclude players from specific countries from all types of bonuses and promotions. You can use a VPN and switch to a country where it is available.
⏩ 24/7 customer support: When you make a subscription, ensure that the support team will help at any time if an issue comes up. Most providers offer multiple channels like email, live chat, and phone support in different languages.
What are the risks when sports betting with VPN
Using VPN for online gambling comes with multiple benefits, but there are also some disadvantages and pitfalls you should definitely consider:
- VPN detection: Many betting sites use specific software that scans a PC, laptop or mobile device for cheating programs. These include VPNs, which means that even if you have one, you will not be able to enter the sportsbook. If they spot that you are using it, your account will probably be frozen or banned.
- Slow Internet connection: Player’s connection depends on the provider and the country. Using a VPN, in most cases, affects the internet connection speed since it is a heavy operating system. There have also been many cases where the connection is lost entirely. This creates problems when you are looking to bet on live events.
- Inability to receive winnings: Another issue that may come up when using VPN for sports betting is that a bookmaker has a valid reason not to pay your earnings, whether it is mentioned on the terms or not.
- Cost: Many VPN providers offer free month trials or low-budget contracts that may not include all the services. Players who would like to engage in sports betting with a VPN still need to pay for using the service.
- KYC Process: Most online bookmakers will ask you for documentation that proves your physical address. If you can't provide any, the verification process cannot be completed. This means that even if you could create an account and play, you will not cash out any winnings.
How to deposit to hide my identity
When you are betting online, you have several different payment options to choose from. However, when you are playing on VPN gambling sites, you have to select the deposit method very carefully. Using a credit/debit card or bank transfer is something that bettors that live in countries where gambling is prohibited or use a VPN to access a site should avoid.
E-wallets, vouchers and cryptocurrencies are more suitable. Betting with them can help keep the activity hidden and don’t reveal the country of origin. Although, it is necessary to note that some wallets, like PayPal, are fully regulated, so you should also avoid them. This is why we recommend using, among others, Skrill, Neteller, Paysafecard, and Neosurf.
VPN and cryptocurrencies
Cryptocurrencies are one of the best options for anonymity, especially for new bookmakers. A significant advantage of cryptos is that geographical borders and local banking regulations can not restrict a transaction. Using them as your deposit method at VPN sports betting sites ensures that your activity will fly under the radar. At the same time, many VPN providers allow their users to pay for their services with cryptocurrency.
Which is the Best VPN for Betting
VPN-friendly bookies are clearly on the rise. This happens because bettors want to avoid the increasing restrictions imposed by many countries. VPNs ensure high-security levels and protect your IP address. Moreover, it helps you access restricted bookies. Bettors around the globe can enjoy sports betting with VPN, which offers an increasing variety of sites.
Of course, there are quite a few risks. Some bookies may block your account if they trace that you use a VPN against the terms. For recreational bettors, using a VPN may not be essential. If you are a professional player, you should try to test some VPN options to help you access many international bookmakers.
VPN means “virtual private network” and it is a service that gives you online privacy. It protects your online identity through an encrypted path and hides your IP address. You can use it for several reasons, including sports betting.
Most bookmakers mention in their terms that they do not allow the use of a VPN. Also, many can detect if a player uses one. However, consider that several offshore bookies enable players to use them freely.
Using a free version of VPN means that you will have some restrictions. There are cases when a user has a limited or a free edition where they cannot visit a website. This is why you should buy the full version if you want to use VPN for online gambling.
The truth is that there are many differences between using a VPN and a proxy server. The main one is that VPN protects all your internet traffic while a proxy protects only your browser or a specific app.
The answer is yes. Whether you have an Android device or an iOS, many providers offer mobile editions that you download on your smartphone or even add them as extensions.
The best choices are ranked based on solid internet privacy laws, few limitations and high-speed internet access. Iceland, Estonia and Canada are some of the best options for players.
As we have mentioned, most bookies clearly state that it is not allowed for players to use VPN for sports betting. If a site detects activity, it may take action and block your account.