Golf is an exciting sport, inspiring millions of people globally. But when it comes to betting, golf puts up the ultimate excitement. In which other sport would you see everything changing within a few seconds? In football a two-goal lead is rarely changing, so does a 20-point difference in basketball. In golf a 5-par could vanish in one single hole! That’s why even golf betting basics are considered one of the most demanding sports for a bookmaker. The odds are going up and down in a short period of time and chances for huge profit are created every single moment.
Golf betting explained
How does golf bets work? This article will help you understand that apart from luck, you need to know more on how to bet on golf. All golf betting terms are fully explained, so you should be familiar to them and start betting without any confusion. After all, golf betting online is not something difficult even for a beginner, but the best odds golf provides in all competitions is a real temptation.
Major golf betting tournaments
Golf playing schedule is divided into two main categories: The PGA Tour, containing tours held mainly in the USA, but also elsewhere in North America, South America and China, and the European Tour, which organizes tours in mainland Europe, Africa (the southern part) and the rest of Asia. Most golf open tips are placed on these, as they are the most prestigious competitions offered by bookmakers.
There are also many other golf tournaments for betting, organized by Korn Ferry Tour (for professional players who have not yet qualified to play in the PGA Tour), as well as PGA Tour Canada, PGA Tour Latinoamerica, and PGA Tour China. In Europe, there are also the European Seniors Tour and the European Challenge Tour.
Betting on golf tournaments is available year-round, as all these tournaments provide a really busy environment. The 2019 European Tour contains 46 different tournaments held in 32 different countries. Another 46 events are included on 2019 PGA Tour schedule.
The Major Golf Tournaments, often referred to simply as The Majors, are the four most prestigious annual tournaments worldwide. All top golfers take part and betting interest is huge.
- Masters Tournament: Held in mid-April at Augusta, Georgia, USA.
- PGA Championship: Held in May, a week prior to Memorial Day weekend, at various locations across the USA.
- US Open: Held in mid-June at various locations in the USA.
- The Open championships: Held in mid-July at various locations in the United Kingdom.
Golf is basically an individual sport, every golfer is competing for himself, except for the Ryder Cup. This is a biennial men's competition between teams from Europe and the United States. The competition is held every two years with the venue alternating between courses in the United States and Europe. It’s actually golf betting on teams. The Ryder Cup is named after the English businessman Samuel Ryder, who donated the trophy.
Betting Terms in golf
Golf spread betting explained
These kind of bets can be placed on a player's finishing position in the tournament and various match bets (even betting on one player against another or numbers of birdies on certain holes. There are many golf betting lines to choose from.
Golf betting on players - Outright winner
The golf tournament winner betting is the most common choice of novice punters. You just try to predict the overall winner from a lot of golfers (usually over 50, in some tournaments over than 100!) offered in various odds. Usually punters divide their golf betting stakes on many players as potential winners, to increase their winning chances.
Each-way bet golf meaning
Each-way betting on golf is safer than the previous one. Your stake is divided automatically into half and you actually bet that your preferable golfer will either win the tournament or will finish on top 5 positions. Odds are much lower, but if you have each-way bet golf fully explained, you substantially increase your winning chances.
Top10 finish betting
Or Top20 finish, as offered by some online bookmakers. You need to find a player who finishes in the first decade, regardless of his final placement. The odds for the clear favorites of a tournament are extremely low, so this market is for the punters who’d like to experiment with some lower-class golfers, without taking the risk of staking them as outright winners.
A risky market, as you try to predict which golfer will be the leader after just the first round. In fact, you try to guess the flying starter. There are some golfers who traditionally start excellently, and some other who are benefited by the specific tournament landscape to reach the first hole, so it’s not just luck.
Over/Under betting golf
A special bet concerning each competitor and his overall score in a tournament. A punter can place golf bets on over or under par, even if a golfer is scoring over or under par in a specific hole.
Golf betting head to head explained
You can find it also as golf matchups bet. How about a player-to-player individual contest among decades of different golfers? This golf handicap bet is offered mainly in major tournaments and only between the “big names”. You need to study a lot about major golfers behaviour before staking on this market, but you don’t need to wonder any more what is match betting in golf.
3 ball golf betting
With this bet you select which player in a (preselected by the bookmaker) three-player group will post the lowest score for the round. This is usually offered in the 1st and 2nd rounds of a tournament.
Hole by hole bet
Another risky market, also offered in major tournaments. You need to find which golfer will succeed in a specific hole. This is not a matter of luck only, though. If you know exactly the golfer’s characteristics and the specific hole’s landscape, you could have a great advantage.
Hole in one bet
How risky is it to bet on this extremely difficult aspect? Before you think that this happens once in a year, you should learn that in almost every tournament there’s a hole in one winning bet, so the chances of hole in one are not so rare as you think in the beginning.
This bet is offered only at the Ryder Cup. You need to choose between the two main teams (Europe vs USA) nationalities.
Βest golf betting strategies
Golf is a real demanding sport when it comes to betting. Nobody can just rely on luck to predict a winner or even a top20 competitor. There are lots of golf betting strategies, but whether is a in-play golf bet, or it’s a special 3 ball betting dead heat, you have to follow certain rules to gain a long-term profit.
- Recent results: A golfer’s form is not so steady, but shows his potential in next tournaments. You need to know if he’s placed high in last week’s shots.
- Field familiarity: One of the most important tips to follow. If a golfer does well in a specific field, he’ll probably do well again next year. This is not guaranteed (nothing is in betting), but if you study a bit, you’ll know for sure.
- Specific field specialization: Every player has a favorite field, where he feels more comfortable: Green, rough, upturned saucer style green... Obviously the most talented players are shooting well in every surface, but as golf is a game of details, this information becomes crucial.
- GIR statistics: A "green in regulation” (abbreviated GIR) is a statistical category on the PGA tours, where professional players rate their rounds. A golfer earns a GIR by getting his ball onto the putting green: from -3 par hole in one stroke to -5 par hole in three of fewer strokes. A glance at the GIR statistics reveals a valuable ranking of various golfers, so you can evaluate the odds offered at every single one of them.
- Field characteristics: Hilly, flat, water traps, lots of clay… Every golf field has a totally different landscape, this is part of the sport excitement and the main case study of the golf betting strategy. The final result is depended on various golfer’s advantages. You need to study the landscape carefully, compare it to others and group the statistics all over to understand which player is best on avoiding the clay or surpass the hills.
- Weather: In general, weather conditions are a major destabilizing factor in a tournament status quo and are fully affect your golf betting strategy. Some golfers perform better on wet conditions and some others to extreme heat. A wet surface makes it more difficult to calculate. That’s why when the weather is bad, the most common golf betting strategy is turn to outsiders.
Hedging on golf
This is by far the most popular and efficient golf betting strategy. Taking a golfer on 40/1 or even 50/1 odds before the tournament starts, among those who seem in good shape, based on recent results. All you need from your pick is to start well. His odds will lower almost immediately, after even the first two or three holes. With hedging on golf strategy you can cash out at every moment. You don’t have to be greedy. Even doubling or tripling your stake should be enough.
You can also count on matchups betting for a long-term profit, but this kind of bet demands more studying. You need to know exactly the players’ characteristics, so you can identify every moment the valuable bets. Apart from golfers attitude, you should be informed about the landscape, the range, the surface, nearly all the details of the field.
A third popular golf betting strategy leading to profit is staking on different golfers as outright winners of a tournament. For example, if you have $100 available for betting, you can bet $50 on a 4/1 favorite, another $20 on a 10/1 contender and another 10$ on three 20/1 outsiders to double your stake.