The Swedish Gambling Authority Lotteriinspektionen have made another move closer to regulating the local market as they have announced they will start accepting license applications as of July 1st 2018.
Nevertheless all regulations need to be approved by the country’s Government and Parliament as the existing Law is in need of immediate ammendment, clarified Camilla Rosenberg, Director-General of Lotteriinspektionen.
“The goal is that licensed applications can be sent to the Swedish Gambling Authority from 1 July 2018 and that the law will come into force on 1 January 2019,” said Rosenberg.
The new regulations and the licensing system demand that the authority installs a brand new IT system, double its workforce and adopt a brand new working processes.
The following timetable has been scheduled:
• Government draft bill including regulations to be ready on March.
• Lotteriinspektionen tweeks for regulations will be available until the middle of March.
• The Swedish Government will vote the law within May 2018.
• Lotteriinspektionen will arrange information meetings regarding the application process mid-May 2018.
• The license application window is expected to open July 1st 2018.
• The new law regarding gambling will come into force 1st January 2019.
“Many operators who want to apply for a license are already making preparations based on the government’s proposed bill,” Rosenberg explained. “The awarding of licenses and the dates from which they will be valid will depend partly on the quality of the applications and when they are received by the Swedish Gambling Authority. We will make a comprehensive assessment of both the application and of the company behind the application”, Camilla Rosenberg added.
All applicants must adopt certain responsible gambling measures, customer protection and a strong security system in order to fulfil the criteria set by the Government and Lotteriinspektionen. The first guidelines for technical and general regulations will be distributed during March 2018.